Sunday, November 15, 2015

And one more

Photo November 13, 2015. Assiniboine Forest, Winnipeg, MB.
* * *

The clearing created by an old fire twenty years ago, whose half-burned logs somehow kept out the trembling aspen and most other colonizers, is nearly gone now. A 2012 brushfire ignited by an out-of-control bonfire mostly finished the job. I liked this clearing. We saw a lost pair of moose there once. And I used to photograph a colony of pixie cups and other slow-growing teeny-tiny lichens on a log halfway in. I also liked it because it was noticeably different than the forest that surrounded it.

I've been photographing the clearing as it recovers from the fire, so I can keep track of how it's changed...

The other day, it was full of thigh-high blonde grasses and, from the path whose end you can see in the picture, I'm not the only one who likes to come and stand at the edge of the clearing.

No comments: