Sunday, July 26, 2015

A wonderful lump



All photos Assiniboine Forest, Winnipeg, MB. July 24, 2015.
* * *

I'm fairly certain that this mushroom is not a typical specimen. It looks more like a cancerous growth than a mushroom...

Which was sort of a theme for this hot buggy walk, which was flanked by garish lobster mushrooms (again, more like a tumour than anything else...) and featured moquitoes attempting every inch of exposed/covered skin. Which is to say: my hairline, the skin between my fingers, my shoulders, the backs of my knees.

I left the forest wearing a paste composed of sweat, mosquito spray, and sunscreen. My t-shirted shoulders and the legs of my shorts were festooned in mosquito carcasses and a few daubs of blood.

All of which sounds gross but it was glorious, even if the swarms of mosquitoes prevented me from taking very many photos.

No comments: