Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Getting around


Clockwise, from top left: A screencap of Wolseley, from Hathaway's Guide and Birds-Eye Map of Winnipeg (1911); Calgary poet & editor Ryan Stromquist took Stowaways to the British Virgin Isles for Xmas! ; My aunt in Sudbury sent me this 1977 full-colour mushroom field guide. Look who's listed as a consultant... ; My dear friend Tessa send me this seen-reading-Stowaways pic when she was in Toronto putting together Rogers' NHL studios; An afternoon at UMP was spent drinking green tea and proofing Life Among the Qallunaat, freshly-sharpened pencil in hand.

* * *

I've been neglecting the blog of late. But it's been a great couple of weeks for texts moving in and out of my hands. Books have arrived in the mail, my book has been photographed everywhere but Winnipeg, and I've been collecting and poring over research materials for my urban forest non-fiction.

Despite illness and general lousy busy-ness, we had a great holiday. Lots of time as duos and trios, lots of alone time. Good activities. And just enough family time.

As of January 5th, I'm back at work at UMP. And I was awfully glad to be back, even if I could probably have coasted on at home for months and months, writing and thinking and refusing to leave the house when it was cold.

But I like my co-workers and I like the work and it's good to see other people. Besides M and Aa, I mean.

And I've got a few new projects on the go. Which is a good way to begin a new year, even if, like me, you don't believe in resolutions.

No comments: